Dataset: BRUVS (TM) - Fish and Benthic survey of Townsville-Lizard Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Seabed Project Cruise 1 2003-09-05 to 2003-10-12
The dataset comprises 6968 individuals from 257 species of fishes, sharks, rays and sea snakes observed at 88 sites (Townsville-Lizard Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Seabed Project Cruise 1) using 367 baited remote underwater video stations (BRUVS(TM)). 2399 images were captured from these cameras.
Approximately 3500 of the best images from all BRUVS (TM) projects are stored in a reference library.
Data recorded concern:
- classification of the habitat in the field of view (topography, sediments, benthos)
- the identity of fish and CAABCODES
- their time of arrival
- their behaviour (8 categories, including feeding on the bait)
- their maturity (adult or juvenile)
- their relative abundance (as MaxN = the maximum number visible at one time, or distinguishable at different times as separate individuals e.g. much larger/smaller, male/female)
- the time elapsed before MaxN and feeding occurs.
A custom interface has been developed by AIMS staff, using Microsoft Access, for reading and analysis of BRUVS(TM) tapes.